BATTLE OF THE TITANS Swing Dance with BIG JOE AND THE DYNAFLOWS vs. THE NIGHTHAWKS in the Spanish Ballroom
• Beginner swing lesson with Tom and Debra 8-9pm, dance 9-11:30pm
• Admission $20/person advanced sales (credit card only); $30 at the door. Advanced sales ends at 12noon the day of the dance. All ticket sales are final; no refunds or credits.
THE NOT-SO-FINE PRINT:
• All attendees must be fully-vaccinated (no exceptions). Please present proof of vaccination at the door.
• All advanced ticket sales are final; no refunds, no credits.
• Masks are optional. If you do wear one, masks must stay over your nose securely, N95 of KN95 recommended.
What happens when two titans of the Blues/Swing scene go head to head onstage at the Spanish Ballroom? Swing dancers will be treated to a night of INCREDIBLE music with these two legendary bands.
BIG JOE AND THE DYNAFLOWS: swing, jump blues, grooves on the blues, and jazz for your swing dance pleasure! Big Joe started playing music in his Maryland high school jazz band, where greats like Clark Terry, Urbie Green, and James Moody often sat in, inspiring Big Joe to a life in music. A member of the legendary Uptown Rhythm Kings in the 1980s, he was also the music coordinator for Mick Fleetwood’s Alexandria nightclub, Fleetwoods. Big Joe’s achievements go on and on, from playing at the Inaugural Ball for the 42nd President of the United States to WAMA awards to performing at jazz and blues festivals all over the United States and Europe.
As their 50th anniversary approaches, THE NIGHTHAWKS step forward with two new members: Dan Hovey on guitar and Paul Pisciotta on bass. Dan delivers strong lead vocals along with his tasty guitar playing, and Paul brings the band’s already famous four-part harmonies to a new level. Drummer Mark Stutso’s singing and songwriting make him an audience favorite. Founder, lead singer and harpmaster Mark Wenner is still at the helm. With some 30 recordings and local and international awards to their credit, The Nighthawks are still churning out new material while drawing on more than four decades’ worth of signature tunes for their legendary live shows.